Tuesday 4 June 2013

Tips for long haul air travel with children






Now, having completed the journey myself, with all members of my family still alive and well, I pass my findings on to you.

 So, here they are my top tips:

    Book an overnight flight. Enough said.
    Pick the right airline. Luggage allowances vary widely, so if you need to carry a lot of baggage , it can help to shop around. You’ll also be wanting a personal entertainment system on every seat, children's meals and any goodies you can get your hands on (some airlines offer play packs etc.).
    Let technology be your friend. I’m not really into buying my children toys when it isn’t their birthday/Christmas/sticker chart reward time but desperate times call for desperate measures. I knew we would be doing a lot of very boring waiting, so I purchase number of games.
    Pack your carry on bag wisely. In the few weeks before the flight, I started to put items away for the children's bags. These items included a few toy cars, colouring books, sticker books, two non-spill cups, easy to eat snacks and a small favourite toy from home.
    Wipes – even with older kids a travel pack of wipes can be a lifesaver.
    Pack a change of clothes for each child – in case spill/vomit/toilet accident OR bags don’t arrive at destination. For those still in nappies / messy eaters bring more.
    Bring snacks as you never know when they will serve food or what will be served, delays where you are stuck on the tarmac or in the gate etc. Don’t assume anything. We’ve had flights that take off at 9pm and figure we’ll sleep only to find “dinner” being served at 10pm so that we get on local time for meals immediately. Also some airlines serve less food than others replacing one of your meals with a snack that can often be a piece of fruit or mini sandwich.
    Bring something for take off and landing to alleviate pressure - babies can have a pacifier/dummy or drink from bottle or breast, lollipops can be great for young kids and older ones can chew gum or suck on a lollipop.

My final, off the record, tip is to think Zen. Expect nothing and the flight can only exceed your expectations.

No comments :